Context: Develops and directs professional staff and works in collaboration with volunteer leaders to implement Sierra Club electoral strategies. Coordinates Conservation Department electoral efforts. Promotes political effectiveness in conservation campaigns. Partners with Sierra Club Chapter staff and volunteers to support and develop Sierra Club electoral engagement at the state and local level.
Scope: The Political Director has overall program responsibility and works with senior staff to develop and implement Sierra Club efforts to advance the conservation objectives of the Club through participation in elections and general political activism. Collaborates with Conservation department staff to formulate strategies and implement political activities. Supervises or coordinates staff working directly in election campaigns. Works with Sierra Club Communications staff and consultants to develop and implement paid and earned media campaigns for the Club’s political and accountability programs. Represents the organization to congressional leaders and candidates, national political party officials, presidential candidates and their staff, and leaders of other national political action committees. Develops and oversees political program budget, and fundraising strategies, materials and outreach.
- Directs the Club's efforts in electoral campaigns, including the development of campaign strategies, allocation of resources, and supervision of political staff.
- Works with Senior Director of Lobbying and Advocacy, other staff, and SCPT Committee, to ensure maximum benefit to Sierra Club programs from the Club's efforts on behalf of political candidates.
- Monitors and evaluates political and electoral activity, public opinion, and the general political climate affecting the Club, and communicates intelligence to SCPT Committee, staff and volunteers.
- Develops and maintains contacts, and represents the Sierra Club to congressional leaders and staff, presidential candidates and campaigns, political parties, and other national political action committees.
- Works with Senior Sierra Club staff and volunteer leaders to develop and coordinate the efforts of Club volunteers and staff to formulate medium and long-range goals, objectives and strategies for the Club's electoral program and efforts to build political power.
- Directs and oversees training programs, issue projects, and other volunteer development activities related to political campaigns. Collaborates in designing, writing and marketing grant proposals for these activities.
- Works with Director of Finance & Operations and Compliance Team to maintain budgetary and regulatory compliance within the electoral program.
- Works with Senior Director of Lobbying and Advocacy and Advancement Department to develop fundraising plans, materials and talking points. Participates in donor meetings to raise funds for political programs.
- Participates fully in assigned issue campaign teams to provide strategic insight on overall approach, outreach and implementation. Provides support and technical services to the Club’s educational programs.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as directed.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Not less than 8 years of experience in politics or the environmental movement, including direct political campaign experience, advocacy and legislative work, fundraising and media relations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Prior staff management experience that demonstrates the ability to develop, train and coach employees.
- Solid background in grassroots organizing and exposure to new media.
- Prior experience working in partnership with volunteers.
- Prior responsibility for fiscal and business operations management.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with staff, volunteers, the media and the public.
- Demonstrated ability to raise money.
- Travel required.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 3 exempt position.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com
Competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits.