LOCATION: Mid-Atlantic region. Position will be based out of a home office; specific geographic location is flexible.
TERM OF POSITION: Full-time salaried, non-exempt. Support for this grant-funded position has been secured through December 2018. Beyond that date, the position is contingent upon securing additional funding.
POSITION SUMMARY: River Network seeks a motivated and highly organized individual to join our team as Leadership Development Manager for the Mid-Atlantic/ Chesapeake Bay region (includes WV, VA, Washington DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ and NY). This position will help increase the effectiveness of river and watershed groups and related community-based organizations throughout the Mid-Atlantic/ Chesapeake Bay region. As River Network’s primary staff person in this region, their job is to help groups define their strategies and goals, expand their community organizing and civic engagement efforts, grow their nonprofit management and leadership skills, and work together for greater impact. The position serves as a resource, mentor, and trainer for staff and volunteers of member organizations, as well as collaborates with other individuals, organizations and funding entities. They need to fully understand the expertise available through the River Network team, engage various team members in delivering support (science, policy, leadership development, etc.), and establish partnerships with others to fill knowledge gaps. They will also help engage statewide and regional groups across the Mid-Atlantic with our network of statewide organizations and alliances.
This person must be flexible and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously. We are looking for a candidate poised to become a successful member of our nationally dispersed team who is excited about helping to connect all people to achieve a sustainable and healthy future for our nation’s rivers and waters.
ABOUT RIVER NETWORK: River Network envisions a future of clean and ample water for people and nature, where local caretakers are well-equipped, effective and courageous champions for our rivers. River Network’s mission is to empower and unite people and communities to protect and restore rivers and other waters that sustain all life. Visit www.rivernetwork.org to learn more about our current priorities. Our headquarters are in Boulder, Colorado with staff and contractors working from various locations across the U.S.
River Network is committed to embracing diversity, equity and inclusion in all areas to achieve our mission. Through our programs we seek to connect with all communities and increase the impact of their efforts to secure clean and ample water. River Network is intentional about our staffing and engagement practices and strive to increase the diversity of our staff, board, members, and supporters with strategic recruitment and partnerships and an inclusive workplace culture.
Leadership and Organizational Development
– Plan, design and facilitate in-person and online capacity-building training sessions;
– Provide consulting services to local, regional and state groups on organizational development topics (e.g., fundraising, board leadership, strategic planning, program evaluation and others);
– Deploy River Network’s organizational assessment tool with organizations and networks and analyze data to assess organizational capacity and identify training needs.
Civic Engagement and Advocacy
• Design and deliver training sessions and programs on topics related to community organizing and civic engagement to promote increased public participation in decisions related to water;
• Provide consulting services to organizations and networks on topics related to planning and executing advocacy campaigns and developing/maintaining effective coalitions.
• Establish and maintain communications with river and watershed organizations throughout the Mid-Atlantic states;
• Develop and manage outreach efforts to enhance the visibility of River Network programs and services in the region;
• Handle referrals to other staff and consultants for assistance in other fields of expertise;
• Collaborate with River Network staff on grant writing, project management and grant reporting activities;
• Support planning activities and participate in River Network’s annual River Rally, the Chesapeake Watershed Forum and other regional and national training events;
• Write and prepare materials for newsletters, blogs and training sessions.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education in a field related to nonprofit management, environmental studies, or environmental policy with 1-3 years professional work experience; OR equivalent professional work experience of 5+ years.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, group facilitation skills, interpersonal skills, strong technological abilities (e.g., Microsoft Office programs, Salesforce) and comfort learning new cloud-based systems (e.g., webinar and online communication platforms).
• Positive, self-motivated, and quick learner with an upbeat attitude, entrepreneurial spirit, and drive to succeed with a wide range of stakeholders, partners, staff and volunteers.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, defining and tracking deadlines, progress, and contributions of others and staying on track and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
• Commitment to values of mutual respect and collaboration, teamwork and diversity.
• Ability to travel throughout the mid-Atlantic region (average 4-5 days/month); attend the annual River Rally conference and 1-2 staff retreats/yr.
Closing Date: May 15, 2017
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com